Skip to main content

Only the Bare Necessities

While reviewing my finances yesterday, I realized that I should have a lot more money saved than I do. I wondered where all of my money goes. Of course, I have to pay for things like the mortgage, lights, phones, cable, etc, but where was the rest of it?  I know, I spend it! 


In order to bring me back to a point of grace with my finances, I am going to go on a spending hiatus.  While showering this morning, I remembered that a middle/high school buddy of mine did something like this a year or so ago, and I thought she was crazy to say the least! How can you do that? How can you not.buy.anything!! Well needless to say crazy saved her a ton of money. 


So today when I got to work, after eating the breakfast and lunch that I brought from home, I hit her up on GChat to ask for the guidelines. 

I could only spend money on things that would keep me (1) not starving; (2) clean; and (3) not naked
i.e. if I really didn't NEED it, I couldn't buy it.
Well that seems simple enough, but with my history, I know this is going to be worse for me than that time Krystal Willis gave up Facebook for her lent (yeah I'm still salty about that).


Plea to my friends:
Keep me honest, and understand that that means there won't be anymore parties at The Villa for a while (it was so hard for me to type that).   It's a really good thing that I quit Williams-Sonoma when I did, or I'd.be.screwed!


Disclaimer: This does NOT mean that I am going to start buying generic brands of food though. I'm.just.saying! 


Starting tomorrow, I'll truly be a pauper.  

Comments

Miss Kay said…
Girl, you will be SO SURPRISED at how much money you will save. I've attempted (and failed) at this several times over the past year. But if I stick to my guns, I can save a whole pay check (out of 4) per month. Free check EVERY month. Can you believe that?! (I CAN'T) LOL. I got on mint.com and set up some budgets and track my money. I LOVE it. Now if I can just figure out a way to stay on track, that would be great!